Wednesday, January 17, 2007

How Do I Measure Up?

These “word-pictures” in the readings are “special”.  We can “see” it!

“O Lord, do I judge people in protest for doing something forbidden when I may be guilty of some weakness/failure in my own life that I don’t admit to You?” 

v. 7  “Mercy” is better than some “sacrifice” we could offer to the Lord.

v. 9  People trying to “trick” Jesus! …Imagine!

I find it is very helpful when the Gospel writer included Old Testament writings and texts to show us how they are “fulfilled” in the life of Jesus.

 

Donald E. Pardun

3 comments:

Deetje Wildes said...

The Pharisees had had enough! Matthew 12:14 -- "Then the Pharisees called a meeting to plot how to kill Jesus."

Jesus had just claimed to be Lord over the Sabbath and "one who is even greater than the Temple" (12:6).

My mind fast forwards to what I know will happen. The plot to kill Jesus will succeed. And -- Matt. 27:51 -- "At that moment the curtain in the sanctuary of the Temple was torn in two, from top to bottom."

Anonymous said...

I love the scripture from Isaiah - "And his name will be the hope of all the world."

Jacki said...

Interesting that in 12:7 Jesus tells the Pharisees the same thing as in 9:13 (which was part of the last sermon)--that they still need to learn the meaning of "I want you to show mercy, not offer sacrifices." Apparently they still didn't have it figured out.