Friday, August 3, 2007

The Body of Believers

Romans 16:8-27

In my orientation to seminary we spoke of this passage, and I've been thinking about it on and off for about 3 weeks now. Karen also touched on this theme yesterday. Looking over chapter 16 (including the 7 verses we read yesterday, at least 32 individuals are mentioned, 30 by name, in addition to the references to Jesus Christ and unnumbered groups of people. Most of these people, we've never heard of before, but they were significant to Paul.

It's interesting, because – even though Scripture doesn't teach it - I often think of Paul as a lone ranger, or at least as someone who's able to accomplish a lot on his own. He was strong in his convictions, demonstrated contentment in the midst of jail and persecution, seemed to do whatever he knew was right for the glory of God, regardless of the earthly consequences. Yet, part of his strength came from the precious people involved in his life and in his ministry.

If I were writing this letter right now, I would mention Tricia, who invited me to youth group, and Miley, who challenged me to live for God. I would include Jon, who encouraged me to live out my faith everyday in high school. I'd thank Bob and Greg and Danni for challenging me to be bold in my faith in college and for helping me not take myself too seriously. I'd thank Kris, for her partnership in life and in the work of the gospel, as well as for her unending encouragement. I would thank all the volunteers in middle school ministry, who in various ways pour themselves into students, so that each student might experience the love of God.

There are many more names I could mention. Several you might recognize and bunches who would be for you just names on a page, like many of the people in Romans 16.

Who are the people in your story, in your life? Who are the people that God has used to draw you to Him? Who are the people who bless you by their partnership in ministry? Who are the people you've been blessed to pour your life into and see the fruit of faith? Take a moment to think of them and to thank God for them. He, too, knows each of them by name.

No comments: