Monday, August 20, 2007

The God Who Makes Sense of Me

I Corinthians 12:27-13:13

This text contains one of the most comforting thoughts for me in all of scripture. I find myself going here often when standing alongside people who ache to understand circumstances or know reasons in the face of frustrating mystery.

At some juncture of life we each will feel the inner chaos of trying to understand why some tragedy happens, or some great grief or unjustice is allowed to invade our lives. At those times we either chafe at the sovereignty of God or come to rest in it. (Early on we can even seem to simultaneously oscillate between both resting & wrestling!)

This scripture confirms for me that there are some things I will never understand. There are other things that in this life I will only ever understand in part. But it also assures me of a couple other things I can hang on to in these agonizing mysteries:

* one day I will understand! I will see with clarity all that is blurred or opaque now.

* and on this day, Today, right this moment, I can be comforted in knowing that what might seem senseless to me, makes sense to God. He understands it all. There is no mystery to Him, no aching chaos. Not only does He understand this grief I have, and why it must be, but He is the God Who makes sense even of me! Perhaps the hardest mysteries to live with are self-mysteries. But this scripture says God does not scratch His head considering me. I am no mystery to Him.

I find comfort (it's not complete comfort, but it is comfort!) in knowing that if I cannot make sense of some great or painful mystery, at least it makes sense to Him.

What place you may be in now is not meaningless. It is not senseless chaos. It & you make perfect sense to God.

Now we see things imperfectly as in a cloudy mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity. All that I know now is partial and incomplete, but then I will know everything completely, just as God now knows me completely. I Cor 13:12

PPaul

No comments: