Monday, September 3, 2007

Family Re-Union

2 Corinthians 6:14 - 7:4

"Father, today I feel this tension in your Word; this calling into family, & apart from the world. On the one hand, this rich list of words reminds me that You have made me a relational creature: team up, partner, live with, harmony, partner, union (vv14-16)

And, at the end of these I know that even more I am made for You, to live in close relationship with You & your family: I will live in them and walk among them. I will be their God, and they will be my people... I will be your Father, and you will be my sons and daughters (vv 16,18).
But, then I also hear that I must be cautious and distinct in other relationships with those not of your family, and I must be so precisely because I am in relationship with You: Therefore, come out from among unbelievers, and separate yourselves from them, says the Lord. Don't touch their filthy things, and I will welcome you.
That is the tension. Is the point categorical separation? Or, is it to make whatever separation is needed in order that I do not become connected (and in so doing also connect my 'family' & my God) to their filthy things? Lord, just how much & in what ways would You have me give myself in relationship to people yet outside your family?!
And then (in this tension I sense You WANT me to feel), between this clear belonging to You & your family, and this clear caution of being too close to the ways & wickedness of the world, I recall the earlier text of my brother Rodney's sermon yesterday: all of this is a gift from God... And God has given us this task of reconciling people to him... And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation. So we are Christ's ambassadors (2 Cor 5:18-20)
So Lord, here I am this morning, situated between this Father & family I am part of, and those I carefully relate to that they might also become family. Lord, help my balance."
PPaul

No comments: