Wednesday, October 3, 2007

A Life of Praise

Notice the concern about disagreements among Christians expressed by Paul.  Our names (as Christians) are written in the Book of Life!  In the hymn, “Is My Name Written There?” – the last verse reads, “Yes! My name’s written there!”  Can you say that with confidence right now?  You can…by faith in the Lord Jesus.  V. 4 – Joy – Rejoice – Thanks – Peace – Praise.  Notice how often in Paul’s letters we find these words…and they should be a central part of our vocabulary too!  V. 6 – Don’t worry.  Am I expected to pray about everything?  Really?  Thank the Lord for all He has done for you.  Ask yourself, do I do that often?  V. 7 – The experience of God’s peace.  What does that mean to me…now?  V. 8 – The emphasis is on positive thinking.  Is that my way of thinking?  V. 11 – Being content in whatever situation you find yourself in is a challenge isn’t it?  Am I willing to really try to live that way?  V. 13 – A key verse.  Maybe you’ll want to commit it to memory.  It comes in handy.  V. 15 – Paul’s appreciation for all the folks have done for him.  Do I express thanks to others who help me so much in various ways?  Finally, does this letter really sound like a letter written from a prison cell by a person not even guilty of anything…other than telling folks about Jesus?  Can we not live more fully the life of praise?  That would be a worthy goal, wouldn’t it?

 

Donald E. Pardun

 

No comments: