Thursday, October 25, 2007

Who Me?

My husband says I skim a lot when I read. Though I preferred to think of myself as a speed-reader, the Daily Life readings have taught me otherwise.

You see, I usually passed over the personal parts of Paul's letters. "Come as soon as you can. Bring my coat. Don't forget my books and my papers. Everyone abandoned me. Trophimus was sick in Miletus."

In my own selfish way, I would skim over scripture, looking for what might be relevant to me. Today's reading, with its many personal references, made me wonder about which parts of this letter are personal instructions for Timothy, and which are universal - meant for all of us.

Preach the word of God. Be prepared, whether the time is favorable or not. Patiently correct, rebuke and encourage your people with good teaching. 2 Timothy 4:2

Are those instructions only for Timothy and those with the gift of teaching? Or is it a message for all of us?

I think most of us prefer the St. Francis of Assisi method of evangelism: "Preach the gospel at all times and, when necessary, use words." It's easier that way, isn't it? If preachers, like Timothy, are the only ones who correct, rebuke and encourage with good teaching, then "all" the rest of us would need to do is live the Christian life. (As if it were that easy!)

Though this letter is personal to Timothy, it feels today like these instructions are for me. So, what if we are all called to preach?

We would need to be prepared - familiar with the truth of Christ and able to speak of Him in an accessible, relevant and personal way. We could not simply look for times that are favorable. (Do you know how much easier it is to profess Christ in front of hundreds of people at our church as a worship leader than it is to speak to my neighbors?) And we would need to identify our people - the ones to whom we are called to patiently lead to Christ with good teaching.

For a time is coming when people will no longer listen to sound and wholesome teaching. They will follow their own desires and look for teachers who will tell them whatever their itching ears want to hear. They will reject the truth and chase after lies.
2 Timothy 4:3-4

The time, described above, has already come. People shop for "personal truth" like they do for a new pair of shoes. And what of me? Am I waiting for the modern-day Timothy's to preach to them because I am ill-prepared, waiting for the right moment and don't know who my people are? What about you?



Lord Jesus, you know how hard it is for some of us to witness to the truth of Your power in our lives. We confess the many times that we waited for a favorable moment which simply never came. Please give us the patience, courage and conviction to preach the gospel not only with our lives, but also with our words. Amen.




No comments: