Thursday, December 27, 2007

A Tale of Two Cities

Revelation chapter 18

"Babylon is fallen – that great city is fallen!" This mighty shout of
the angel repeats a truth first introduced in chapter 14. In other
translations, "Fallen, fallen is Babylon the great." While some
scholars believe Babylon stands for a specific city, perhaps Rome, it
seems more likely that it represents a world in rebellion against God.

Thirty years ago, my family and I attended an ecumenical Christian
gathering in Kansas City. As we walked up the ramp leading into the
stadium, I could hear the praise music. It seemed to me that the angels
were singing. We joined the gathering throng. The Holy Spirit was
moving, filling the hearts of the worshippers. Glad voices. Raised
hands.

But then, although we had felt as though we were in heaven, we were
brought back to earth by a speaker who made us keenly aware of the
sinful state of the world. I suppose each individual listening was
thinking of personal trials and pain.

Then came the reminder – "We've read the end of the Book. We know how
the Story will end!" Suddenly, 50 or 60 thousand people stood as one,
cheering and applauding. Not for the speaker, but for the Truth he
spoke. We raised our voices in praise for the One who is worthy, whose
name is Faithful and True, who is sovereign over all the earth.

As we read Revelation, keep in mind that the various visions, laid out
as scenes before us, are not to be taken as events in chronological
order. It is as if we are watching an unfolding drama involving two
cities, Babylon and the New Jerusalem. Last Sunday's blogger defined
Babylon as representing the part of the world system set up against the
worship of God. On the other hand, Revelation also gives us glimpses of
worship in the New Jerusalem.

Another way to explain this dichotomy might be to say that we are shown
two opposing responses to the holiness of God. One author has written,
"John's vision is of the holiness of God, which penetrates the totality
of human existence... One group responds with worship and constitutes
New Jerusalem; one responds with blasphemy and constitutes Fallen
Babylon... There is no accommodation, no compromise of holiness with
unholiness. Nothing that is unholy can continue to exist untouched in
the presence of God's holiness... Worship of holiness is life;
blasphemy of holiness is torment."

On December 17, Pastor Paul wrote of people who "sit on the fence." In
today's reading, I sense that many people have already made their
choice. They have set themselves in opposition to the ultimate reality
of God's sovereignty. They mourn the destruction of what they held
dear.

What do I hold dear? Is it possible that I'm still "on the fence," that
I have divided loyalty? John wrote in his first epistle (2:15), "Do not
love this world nor the things it offers you, for when you love the
world, you do not have the love of the Father in you."

I see the depiction of Babylon in chapter 18 and I find deception and
pride. The city is called a hideout for vultures (verse 2), perhaps
indicating people who feed upon others, the epitome of self-indulgence.
In verse 7, I see self-glorification and self-sufficiency.

Lord, how much of this still remains in me? Have I, like the merchants
of Babylon, embraced a lifestyle of pleasure? How often I put myself
first. How often I forget, maybe even refuse, to take you into account.
I sense myself being drawn to the easy way, not the way of sacrifice.
Within me is too much wanting to glorify me, and too little desiring to
glorify you.

Oh, but now I hear again the voice calling from heaven (verse 4), "Come
away from her, my people." God will never abandon me, but in his
redeeming love draws me ever closer to himself.

Deetje Wildes

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Deeje. I needed to hear that. The Christmas materialism is contagious & creeps in. I need to remember who I am in Christ. I am not a citizen of this world. I'm not missing anything when I don't participate fully in this world's pleasures. I will have wonderous adventures when I go to my heavenly home - so wonderful we will all wonder why we thought we'd be missing something if we didn't enjoy something here. We don't need a "Bucket List" of the things we need to enjoy before we leave this earth. Our time in our Heavenly home will be the Greatest Adventure!
TR