Thursday, January 11, 2007

"Such Great Authority"

Thursday, January 11 - Matthew 8:23-9:8

Have you noticed how our readings have switched from Jesus' teachings to accounts of some of his miracles?

When Matthew wrote his Gospel, he placed great emphasis on the teachings of Jesus. If you have a Bible with the words of Jesus printed in red, try flipping the pages of the book of Matthew. You'll get an idea of the treasure-trove of teaching available to us.

As we began the Sermon on the Mount, we encountered the apparent audacity of Jesus - "You have heard the law ... but I say ..." with the result that crowds were amazed as they recognized Jesus' authority.

Now, Matthew shifts gears, so to speak. He chooses to give us the details of some of Jesus' many miracles. They, too, speak of His authority. Yesterday's reading shows us the Roman centurion (8:5-13) who knew the meaning of authority. Though a Gentile, he was commended by Jesus for his faith. The centurion's trust in Jesus' authority resulted in the healing of his paralyzed servant.

Today, we see Jesus as "Ruler of all nature." When He rebuked the wind and waves, the disciples were amazed. Jesus could just as well be saying to me, "Why are you afraid? You have so little faith!" For I ask myself this: If Jesus, King of Glory, has control of the whole universe - as indeed He does - then why is it so hard for me to believe that He has my own particular circumstances under control? When I'm trembling, like the disciples I need to shout, "Lord, save me!" I want to remember that if He doesn't change the difficult things that surround me, He will still be with me, ready to calm my inner storm.

Next, we see Jesus' authority to cast out demons. Even these demons recognized who Jesus was - the Son of God. Isn't it a curious thing that some people who had been hoping for His coming didn't recognize Him when He came? There were even some people who wished he hadn't come. Look at the response of those who heard how the two demon-possessed men had been restored. To the townsfolk, the men's change from brokenness to wholeness probably meant a financial setback. As Jesus continues to bring healing to my heart and mind, I won't worry about losing a few pigs. Still, it's sad that some family members or friends, seeing what Jesus has done for me, may say "go away, leave us alone."

Finally, we see how Jesus, by healing the paralyzed man, demonstrated His authority to forgive sins! The religious leaders almost got it right. Yes, only God can forgive sins. Jesus was claiming equality with God. Either he was indeed the Son of God, or He was blaspheming the Holy One. The religious leaders rejected the notion that Jesus was God-with-us. But, as fear swept through the crowd, people praised God for sending Jesus. May we, who know the price He paid, never cease to praise the Father for our Sin-Bearer.

Deetje Wildes

No comments: