Thursday, February 15, 2007

Already But Not Yet

I must confess a bit of hesitation as we begin the book of Mark today.  Having just suffered through the crucifixion and celebrated Easter morning, I find the 'rewind' button has been hit, and I'm back at the beginning.  Trying not to feel the connection to the Bill Murray movie "Groundhog Day", I need to pray:
 
Lord Jesus, your Word is living and active, piercing and true.  There is nothing stale nor repetitive in your Word, for you have given all of it for our good.  As we begin reading the gospel of Mark, will you make it fresh and new?  Draw our hearts and minds to truths we missed in Matthew because you were saving them for us to learn now.  Slow us down if  we are tempted to skim over what feels familiar and remind us that we have only just begun to understand your marvelous ways.  Amen.
 
I like the Gospel of Mark.  I always have.  I like it because it is written in a way similar to how I  read suspenseful novels - sometimes skipping over the character development and background material in order to focus on the plot.  John Mark, cousin to Barnabas and companion of both Peter and Paul,  wrote what most believe is the earliest gospel in a succinct, almost breathless fashion.  Mark skips the nativity and Jesus' childhood, and He is already baptized by John by verse 9.  I sense an urgency in Mark, for he has Good News to share.
 
The part of the narrative that struck me today was Jesus' announcement that "The kingdom of God is near!"  The New Testament is full of references to the kingdom of God, but I do not believe that phrase appears in the Old Testament at all.  Certainly the idea of God's kingdom is prevalent throughout the OT, where Psalm 29:10 says "The Lord is enthroned as king forever".  But when the Jews heard Jesus' words about the kingdom, what would they have been thinking?
 
The Jews of Jesus' day, not unlike some Christians today, believed that they were living at the end of "this age" and at the beginning of "the age to come".  They were eagerly awaiting the Messiah who would usher in a period of justice and tranquility, and would vanquish their enemies.  When they heard "The kingdom is near" they probably thought, "Oh boy, this is going to be good".
 
When the disciples dropped everything to follow Jesus, they clearly had no idea what kind of kingdom He was announcing.    Were they thinking, "I can't wait to have a front row seat for the big show?"  Certainly they knew nothing about the new kind of kingdom that Jesus proclaimed. 
 
I once read that the key to understanding Jesus' ministry is grasping the tension between already  and not yet.  Jesus has already come, announcing the Good News (actually the Best News) of forgiveness and restoration and new life in Christ.  But, He has not yet fully ushered in His future kingdom - the time of God's rule on earth.  So, as believers, we live in the balance between already and not yet.
 
I think I spend a bit too much time wishing that my already was a bit more like the not yet.  Lord, why did both my parents have cancer?  Karen...not yet.  And Lord, why does my youngest child have to endure such struggles?  Karen.....not yet.  Well, what about famine?  And war?  And terrorism?  And trying to figure out something for dinner day after day after day?  As I said, my beloved...not yet.
 
I long for the same kind of kingdom that the Jews were expecting, don't you?  But, Jesus has already given us all that we need.  His kingdom is a present reality - He is exercising His authority right now, and has already "blessed us in the heavenly realms with with every spiritual blessing in Christ" (Ephesians 1:3).  
 
The kingdom that Jesus announced at the beginning of Mark is rich and full and wonderful.  But it is not complete.  Not yet.  The yearning  we feel...the growing discomfort with the suffering of this world.....is because we were created with eternity in mind.    If our already were more like the not yet, then we wouldn't long for Jesus to come again. 
 
His kingdom has come, but we haven't seen anything.  Not yet.
 
Karen Peikert
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

Karen Peikert said...

Wow, sorry that the font was so enormous on my post. It looks like I was yelling at you all! I'm not sure how I did that....I'd better ask my teenager for a computer lesson. :)

mrquademan said...

Artful use of language, Karen, and helpful thoughts as we begin reading about Jesus' life and ministry again. Thanks for sharing with us!

pastor paul said...

When I read Karen's good words on Mark 1 today, I couldn't help but think of an old close college friend who loved the Lord (still does). We enjoyed a mutual banter of harrassment and encouragement we would lob back and forth to urge each other on in our spiritual walks. I used to tease this friend about his grandiose plans (and often lack of persistence or ability to follow through). Given my nasty disposition to tease, and knowing that he took it well, I promised I intended to one day be his biographer. And, that the title of the book I would write about his life I had predetermined to be: "Almost Always, But Never". Good thing he was my friend, and we both knew it! But, that title is a rather sad empty description of unfulfilled intention, isn't it?! I think we both have grown up a bit...

I am grateful the story of Jesus' life is not "Almost Always, But Never". His story is written with the sure, confident, comforting, able & powerful words of "Already, But Not Yet". He is this moment all we need Him to be, and all He promises He will absolutely bring to reality.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I liked the large font. As I was reading, I thought to myself that it was easier to read than the other ones, and I personally thought it was nice. Then I see you apologize for it...funny. You know, Karen, your blogs are so good, that whatever font you used, it would be a blessing to us all. Thanks for sharing your gifts with us.