Monday, March 19, 2007

The Legacy

Luke 3:23-38

My aunt is the genealogist on my father's side of the family, and she has been able to trace back about 8 generations. The farther back we go, the less we know about some of these people, except for their names and their professions. In looking at the data my aunt had collected, I was pleased to learn that there are at least two pastors in my family history. (Lutherans, too!)

I am glad to know that "my people" have such a history, but I wish I knew their stories. Did they have a strong, vibrant relationship with God? Did they remain faithful throughout their lives? Did they wonder how their legacy would live on? In the same way, I wonder about the children of my children. And the children that will follow them. What will be the legacy that I pass on to them?

Today's reading lists about 75 generations of names in Jesus' family tree stretching right back to Adam (and from Adam to God). Some of these people are little more than a name on a list, but much of the list is a veritable "Who's Who" of the old testament. It's quite a legacy that they pass down.

Adam, who walked with God in the Garden of Eden.
Noah, through whose righteousness God preserved the human race.
Abraham, with whom God made an everlasting covenant.
Ruth and Boaz, the kinsman-redeemer.
David, who was a man after God's own heart.

But we also have Adam, through whom all of humanity has fallen.
Jacob, who stole the blessing intended for Esau.
Tamar, who disguised herself as a prostitute to have a child by her father-in-law, Judah.
David who had a man murdered and took his wife for his own.

This is a legacy of the faithful, the faithless, and the fumbling. I suspect "my people" aren't much different.

What really stands out to me in this list is God's faithfulness. God made a promise and he had a plan to redeem his people. It is a great comfort to know that even though we are fallen and fumbling, God remains faithful.

This is God's legacy, passed down from generation to generation, made manifest in Jesus, . . . and it will continue.


Drew Clausen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for pointing out a truth that was quite hidden to me. I needed to be reminded that I am in that list and what I do matters to the generations of God's family.
Chris S.