Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Luke 18:18-43

Good day,

 

In our readings today we see two men who are quite different.  The first has it all, the second has nothing.  The first man was the Rich Religious leader, and the second was the Blind Beggar.  The question is, which person would you rather be?  At first glance I guess I would much rather be the Rich Religious Leader.  I’ll be honest, being a Blind Beggar doesn’t really appeal to me so much, and since some may already consider me a religious leader (Pastor of Youth and Family Ministries) I just have to work on that “rich” part!  J  I guess what this boils down to is that I would rather have much than have little. 

 

Look a little deeper with me comparing and contrasting these two men.  The Rich Religious Leader asks Jesus, “Good Teacher, what should I do to enter eternal life?”  The Blind Beggar says, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me.”  The Rich Religious Leader said regarding commandments 4-8 (love your neighbor) “I’ve obeyed all these commandments since I was young.”  When Jesus asked the Blind Beggar what he wanted he said, “Lord, I want to see.”  The Rich Religious Ruler went away sad because Jesus told him to sell all his possessions and give to the poor.  The Blind Beggar was healed and followed Jesus praising God.

 

Now this is an interesting turn of events.  Which man would you rather be now?  I’m going to change my answer to the Blind Beggar.  Here is the true question for us to ask, “Would you rather have your own stuff, or God’s stuff?  The Rich Religious Leader wanted to have his own stuff, his own money, his own good works, his own efforts into the Kingdom of Heaven.  The Blind Beggar knew he had nothing and wanted Jesus’ stuff – healing.

 

The way to get Jesus is through the narrow gate – humble repentance.  Do you think what you have is better than what Jesus has to offer you?  Do you think that you only need a little Jesus to help you out from time to time?  Do you really think like the Rich Religious Leader who thought that he could fulfill the law in his own strength?  Let’s not kid ourselves, the Bible says we were “sinful from birth”, “nothing good lives in me”, “the heart is more deceitful than all else, and desperately sick; who can understand it?” and even our good deeds are like “filthy rags” to God. (Ps 51:5, Rom 7:18, Jer 17:9, Is 64:6)  Shout with the Blind Beggar, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me.”

 

I’ll conclude with a quote I came across yesterday.  Let me know if you like it or if you can guess the author.

 

“In short, if you desire to attain the true righteousness that avails before God, you must despair altogether of yourself and trust in God alone; you must surrender yourself entirely to Christ and accept him, so that all that he has is yours, and all that is yours, becomes his.  For in this way you begin to burn with divine love and become quite another man, completely born anew, and all that is in you is converted.  Then you will have as much delight in chastity as before you had pleasure in unchastity, and so forth with all lusts and inclinations.”

 

Grace and Peace,

 

Pastor Adam

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great quote, great commentary
I am going to quess Oswald Chambers

Anonymous said...

I can take or leave the quote but I really thank you for asking my opinion!

What really jumped out at me in this story was that the crowd YELLED at the begger to "be quiet". This rudeness may have even helped him get Jesus' attention. Friends, if you catch me trying to silence someone who is desparate for a touch from Jesus, please stop me. ChriS