Monday, April 16, 2007

Monday with Children

Luke 18:1-17

Mitch Albom wrote a wildly popular book. Seems every member of humanity (but me) has read Tuesdays with Morrie. So, I can't comment much on that, except I understand Mr. Albom's tank weekly got filled from what he learned from this guy, Morrie.

This Monday morning, my tank is filled by what I learn by observing children as Jesus does.

I think we have a liability reading the Scriptures as if they were some kind of journal - like some list of random thoughts, episodes, experiences of the writers. We do better to realize that Scripture is very intentional literature. Composed and ordered very deliberately to convey spiritual truth and interpreted messages from God. Things in the text are placed next to each other for good reason. That is why one Gospel writer can retell incidences from Jesus' life with varying orders and included or excluded details. Their inspired purpose was not simply to record history, but to teach and change us according to God's revealing of Who He is and who we are.

Our reading today I believe is a very important time to remember this. On the surface it appears as three quite unconnected vignettes: Jesus tells a story about persistent prayer; then Jesus tells another story about a pompous Pharisee & a likable down-and-outer; and then Jesus plays with the kids.

But it is all one connected narrative context, culminating in these well-known but too often poorly-plumbed words, I tell you the truth, anyone who doesn't receive the Kingdom of God like a child will never enter it. (v.17)

I think you'll have to tune-in Sat eve or Sun morning at 8 (if indeed I preach on this passage), and listen to the sermon if you want to ponder further evidence and impact of this. But, I believe vv. 1-8 are saying "Receive the kingdom, praying as a little child." Prayer is not about adult-common persuasion, nor tactics of manipulation and control. It is just honest, repetitive crying out with hurt or ache or need. Express with the trust and dependency of a child until the Father in His way stills your fuss!

And, I believe vv. 9-14 (in light of where we land in vv. 15-17) come to say, "Receive the kingdom in all humility, not with great confidence in [your] own righteousness" -- really not with ANY confidence at all -- but like the meekest, shyest child! Repentance renders a person childlike. Little children are in the place we must be brought to by repentance and dependence to Receive the Kingdom of God -- to receive Him, Jesus! To receive His rightly timed/ portioned/natured response to our prayers. To receive His full-justifying forgiveness for our sin. Let me pray like a little child! Let me repent, becoming so confidence-empty & receptive like a little child! And, let me be touched and so blessed ...like a little child.

Mondays with little children. I could learn a lot.

-PPaul

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your post.

Deetje Wildes said...

Pastor, you have put into words something I have seen but not been able to explain - "Scripture is very intentional literature. Composed and ordered very deliberately to convey spiritual truth..."
I've become excited these past weeks as I see connections between what at first seem to be isolated episodes. "... not simply to record history." Yes, indeed, this explains much!