Thursday, May 3, 2007

Born Again?

John 3:1-21

Have you seen one of those quizzes? I mean the kind that gives a list
of quotations, and you are to tell which ones are from the Bible. For
example, "Cleanliness is next to Godliness." From the Bible? No.
Generally attributed to John Wesley. What about those signs along the
highway? "Prepare to meet thy God." From the Bible? Yes, from Amos
4:12. How about "You must be born again"? Here it is in today's
reading. And we must acknowledge that Jesus' words are not for
Nicodemus alone. According to my Bible's footnote on verse 7, the Greek
word for "you" here is plural. That includes me. Born again?

I have discovered many ways in which I am like Nicodemus. Maybe not a
religious leader, but certainly I have lived most of my life trying to
deserve God's love by being an active church member. I was attracted to
Jesus as my "Rabbi" - my Teacher and Example. But, like Nicodemus, I
sought him out "by night," afraid of what others might think. Afraid to
admit the desperate emptiness of my soul. "The wind blows wherever it
wants," but I wanted to keep a tight rein on the work of the Holy
Spirit in me. Nicodemus apparently found it hard to lay aside all the
good works he had been relying upon. "What do you mean?" Give up all I
have ever known about being a true believer? All the points I've
accrued? Start from scratch? Let the Holy Spirit have his way with me?
Completely? And Jesus encourages Nicodemus. I hear him, firmly yet
patiently, as he says, "Don't be surprised . . ." He's speaking to me!
Deetje, you have glimpsed the Kingdom of God. You have had a foretaste
of glory. Have you forgotten to rely upon my Spirit? Enter again. Look
upon the Son of Man being lifted up on the pole. Fix your eyes on me,
the Pioneer and Perfecter of your faith. Believe in me, trust me, cling
to me. Let me fill you with my Spirit once again. Let me restore the
joy of your salvation. Let me soften your heart and draw you out of
darkness into my light.

Deetje Wildes

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is one of the most extraordinary passages in the Gospels. It is found no where else in the Gospels and in it's uniqueness it does not stand unsupported by the other Gospels, but it stands as the most profound of statements about ones conversion to Christ. Nicodeamous is the witness to these statements by Jesus and his integrity as a learned man and a Rabbi, are so important. Nicodeamous asks the questions we would ask ( what do you meant by that, how can that be) and Jesus tells him that it must be so. Some think that all this 'born -again 'stuff is just hooha. Silly, impassioned, over zealous nutcases who believe this. But they forget who it was that brought up the idea. It was not some southern baptist pastor rocking in his pulpit (stereotype), it was Jesus. Right form God. Now how important does this concept become for each of us?