Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Why Follow?

Sea of Gailee (also called Sea of Tiberias).  Locate is on a Bible map.  Vs. 2 – Notice the Gospel writer tells us WHY so many folks followed Jesus…because of His miracles.  Let’s ask ourselves – just why do I follow Jesus?  Is it based too much on what I want Him to do for me?  Maybe?  Vs. 4 – Passover.  Recall the historic setting for this Jewish feast (Exodus 12).  Vs. 5-15 – Feeding of the 5,000 (actually, that figure is for the men alone, so you need to add a whole lot more folks to that figure).  Think about this: why did Jesus perform so many miracles during the time He was living on the earth in human form?  Vs. 15 – Folks wanted to make Him King!  Remember the hymn: King of My Life I Crown Thee Now.  Vs. 16 – Try to visualize this scene in your mind just now.  Ever been in big trouble?  Have you heard Jesus say to you, “Don’t be afraid!  I am here!”  Whatever trouble or difficulty we are having now, let us listen for those words of Jesus and make them personal – Don’t be afraid.  I am here!

 

Donald E. Pardun

 

No comments: