Thursday, June 14, 2007

The Cost of Discipleship

Acts 9:26-43

Today we see some of Saul’s first experiences after his conversion. As I go back and read again the first part of this chapter, I am especially struck by these words, spoken by the Lord to Ananias concerning Saul -- “And I will show him how much he must suffer for my name’s sake.” Does God usually tell us the difficult things we will encounter up ahead? I think not. Still, He does want our total commitment. He tells us to take up our cross (e.g. Matthew 10:38). This, I think, implies a willingness to suffer. Jesus says in Matthew 10:39, “Whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.” He wants our full devotion.

Near the end of his life, Saul - now known by his Roman/Greek name, Paul - is brought before King Agrippa. In Acts 26, as Paul gives his defense - really, his testimony - it becomes clear that Jesus had told him ahead of time what “obeying the heavenly vision” would require. “I will rescue you from both your own people and the Gentiles.” This sounds like a warning with a promise. Would I trust Jesus that much?

Back to Acts 9. When we last left Saul (9:23-25) he was the target of a murder plot by some Jews. Believers are helping him escape from Damascus. Now he arrives in Jerusalem. He boldly preaches the gospel. Again, a murder attempt. Did Saul sign up for this?

Jesus once told two parables about the cost of being his disciple (see Luke 14:28-33). The illustrations remind me that I can’t rely upon my own resources if I want to follow Jesus. Furthermore, I must be willing to discard my own plans, to “give up everything.” But we aren’t usually told what we will encounter in this born-again life. “We offer the Lord a blank check; He fills in the amount.” (That’s a quote from my dear husband, Clarence.)

Consider, as an illustration, marriage vows. “For better, for worse. For richer, for poorer. In sickness, and in health. As long as we both shall live.” I knew a man whose wife left him when she realized the burden his illness would become, not for him but for her.

I know another man. His name is Clarence. We didn’t know, when we took those vows over 47 years ago, what the future held. God knew, and He has been faithful through all the ups and downs of child rearing, through learning the give and take of married life (even to this day), through financial blessings and woes. He was there as friends encouraged us. He’s been the stronghold we’ve run to in threatening times. Through the years, there’s been the part about us helping to support the medical profession. It’s surely best that we didn’t know what we were signing up for.

And did I say God has been faithful? “Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow.” Like the church throughout Judea, Galilee, and Samaria, we are becoming stronger in the fear of the Lord and the encouragement of the Holy Spirit.

Afterword --
I offer you three suggestions for further study.
+ As we continue in Acts, track the role of Barnabas. His nickname means “son of encouragement.” He was first introduced to us in Acts 4:36,37. He is indeed known for his ministry as an encourager, so much so that we forget his name is Joseph.
+ Looking ahead -- What is the significance of Simon (9:43) being a tanner? (Hint: Peter is a Jew.)
+ Consider Acts 9:31. What does it mean to live in the fear of the Lord? What are some of the benefits of living in this way? Use a concordance or other word-study tools to see what you can discover from Scripture. This could turn into a long project, but a rewarding one.

Deetje Wildes

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another great blog entry today. I would like to just say thanks to all of you have given up your time to contribute to the daily blog. The insights, thoughts, questions and ideas that you have been willing to share have enhanced and "brought to life" my daily scripture reading. Thanks again and may God continue to open our eyes and hearts to His word.

E. Sorensen

Anonymous said...

Hey Thanks-- glad to know someone is reading it besides the writers. We would love to hear more from more of you out there. Got Questions? Disagree? Think we missed the point? Have another thought? It would be great to hear from you!!! Don't be shy.