Saturday, July 14, 2007

THE LIST / Romans 2:1-24

Yesterday’s list is awful, isn’t it? Greedy, envious gossips. Insolent, boastful God-haters. Stubborn, quarreling promise-breakers. Malicious. Merciless.

Ouch. I think yes, they were… and know immediately that I am too. “You may think you can condemn such people, but you are just as bad, and you have no excuse!” (verse 1)

Ouch again.

Words like these could send me into a pit of guilt and self-condemnation. Or these words could inspire a new resolve to try harder to please God by cleaning up my act.

But neither guilt nor grit will help me. Only Jesus can. And He did.

This morning’s words remind me of how much I need a Savior. These words fill me with gratitude that Jesus died for every bit of that awful list of mine, a list I could never “clean up” on my own.

“Don't you see how wonderfully kind, tolerant and patient God is with you?” (verse 4) Yes! Yes! Yes!

Thank You, Lord Jesus, that there is no condemnation for those who belong to You!

No comments: