Thursday, August 16, 2007

What Are My Idols?

I confess that I sometimes find it hard to relate to scripture's teaching about idols. After all, in Western Christianity, we don't have a lot of temples to false gods or golden calves that we bow to. So I find myself asking, what are my idols?

A very simple song I know comes to mind which is called I Will Bow to You. The lyrics are:

Lord, I will bow to You
To no other gods, to You alone
Lord, I will worship you
Nothing hands have made, but You alone
I will lay down my idols
Thrones I have made
All that has taken my heart
Lord, I will bow to You
To no other gods, to You alone

Ah, now that puts a different "spin" on my definition of an idol. How many things that "hands have made" do I put too much value on? My home? What about you? Are you jealous of your neighbor's new car, camper or boat?

What about the line that implies that an idols is anything that has taken my heart?" Have I placed my family on a throne instead of Jesus? In my quest to be a good parent, have I placed my relationship with my kids before my relationship with my Savior?

Anything that makes Jesus somehow smaller in my life might just be an idol of sorts. Not the kind that I bow to, but rather the kind that takes my focus off of my Savior. And when I use that definition of an idol, this scripture is completely relevant in my life.

So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.





No comments: