Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Attract Not Distract

V. 1 – Pray for others.  Why not pause right now, and pray for at least 8 other folks?  Would you find it personally helpful if you wrote a list of people’s names on a paper, and then use that list often in the coming days?  V. 3 – God’s great desire is that everyone will be saved.  We should share that desire and concern, shouldn’t we?  But do we?  V. 10 – Do I seek to make myself attractive by doing good things?  Do I do and say and look as if I really care greatly for the concerns and needs of others?  Do others find me to be attractive in that sense?  Recently I had occasion to relate the story of the man who demanded a definition of what a Christian is.  The wise responds was, “I’m not sure that I can do so in a way to satisfy the spirit of your question.  But I can show you one.  Her name is Betty and she has lived out the Christian life in such a way that if you know her, you’ll know what a Christian is.”  V. 11-14 – Role of women in those days…it was so limited compared to today.  It is well to remember that no religion anywhere, however, has done so much to give modern women the liberating life they have today than has our Christian faith.  Live in faith, love, holiness, and modesty.  That should be the aspiration of every woman...especially Christian women. 

 

Donald E. Pardun

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Don for the encouragement to "stop and pray right now for 8 others"! What a wonderful thing to do in the middle of the workday- a "prayer pause" perhaps, to refresh the spirit and who knows what impact it will have! (Well, God knows of course :-))
Thanks for the post.
Mary Pierce