Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Life Lessons

We begin with cautions to rich people.  Just a minute!  Is James writing to folks like the readers of these lessons?  Rich?  What do you mean by rich?  Well, I have to admit that most of us do have quite a lot of money, comforts, and things.  Maybe we need to remember to put is this way: Compared to whom?  To other folks doing well?  To really needy people around the world?  Do we love money and things too much?  Let’s not just skip over this part of our lesson.  We are not only to hear His Word, but also to heed His Word, you know.  Ask yourself - what can I do to really help folks in real need?  Then do it!  John Wesley wrote in his dairy, “Lord, help me to do it now…before my heart gets cold.”

v. 7 – Am I living in wait for the Lord’s return?  V. 8 – In what way do you understand that the Lord’s return is near.  V. 10 – Suffering for the faith.  Maybe I will experience that…someday.  Am I willing?  V. 16 – What is the role of confession?  Both confession to others and especially confession to the Lord?  James writes, “pray with each other”, do you do that?  v. 19 – We are to bring back to the Lord those who have strayed.  How much do I really care about folks who are strayed?  Lord, help me to be more fully committed to You and Your service.

 

Donald E. Pardun

 

No comments: