Friday, December 7, 2007

A Good Word

3 John 1:1-15

As I read 3 John, a couple things strike me.

The first is verse 2, "I hope all is well with you and that you are as healthy in body as you are strong in spirit." Wow! When I think about spiritual health, most often I hope to be as healthy spiritually, as I am physically. John hopes the opposite for his friend, Gaius. My first response is, how do I care more about my spiritual health than I do my physical health? Am I putting as much effort into being healthy spiritually? Am I fighting spiritual weakness as intensely as I would try to fight off a cold or heal from an injury? And those are good questions, but I looked at an older version of the NLT, too, which says, "I am praying that all is well with you and that your body is as healthy as I know your soul is." Now that is reassuring, isn't it? As we follow Jesus, trusting Him as our Savior, spiritually we're as healthy as can be, because we have received the righteousness of Christ. Anyone who is in Christ is spiritually strong, because we are made whole in Jesus!

Another thing that strikes me is that this letter is short. Did you notice what little time it took to read? But think of the impact it had on Gaius, the impact it maybe has had on you already, as you find encouragement to continue doing good and to not be distracted or defeated by the bad examples or negative influences around you. John tells Gaius that he is doing a good work for God through his hospitality to these traveling teachers. John is doing the same by writing this letter to his friend, offering words of encouragement. Do you know someone who could use encouragement today? What impact might you (and God through you) have on a person close to you through a kind word at the office, a note sent through the mail or electronically, or a quick phone call? How might God use you and me to strengthen someone in their walk with Jesus? Even more than that, how might a word of encouragement or a small act of kindness from us, be a witness to someone around us that God might use to open a door for the gospel?

Already, I think I've written more than John did. I hope all is well with you today and that you are as healthy in body (and as effective in action) as Christ has made you strong in spirit!

No comments: