Tuesday, January 2, 2007

The Leading Priests and Teachers of the Law

January 2nd - Matthew 2:1-23

Matthew 2:1-6 I wonder about those men. They had grown up knowing God’s word, knowing about the Lord’s covenant with King David. From early childhood, they studied Torah. The Law, the Prophets, the Writings. Now, without warning, they are summoned to the palace of the paranoid king. Perhaps, ignoring the pagan trappings, they entered the very throne room for the interrogation. Herod asked them where Messiah was to be born.

Hey, that’s an easy one. Seven hundred years ago the prophet Micah told our ancestors. Our shepherd-king is to come from Bethlehem. He’ll be of the line of King David.

Then, they were dismissed.

I wonder. Where did they go? Did they hurry back to the temple? After all, the chief priests needed to get back to their daily chores of leading worship.

I hope some of them took time to make the five-mile trek to Bethlehem, “House of Bread.” Don’t you think that the special star that shone for the Wise Men would have guided these worshippers as well? And as they approached the house where the child was, would not the Father of lights have prepared them to worship in spirit and in truth?

I wonder. Do I sometimes go too quickly to my daily chores? Does the Father have a trek for me to make? Shine, my King. Sun of Righteousness, arise. Let me enter your throne room. Feed me from your bread. Lead me to your heart.

Deetje Wildes

1 comment:

MrsQ said...

I am humbled by the fact that God entrusted the survival of His Son to sinful man. In this chapter the dangers to Jesus were very real. As a result, God warned the Wise Men not to return to Herod and Joseph to flee Bethlehem. What if either the Wise Men or Joseph had NOT heeded the warnings/leading of God and instead feared Herod more than God (the Wise Men) or had trusted their own reasoning over faithfully trusting God(Joseph)? I fully trust that God was (and is!) sovereign and more than capable of protecting His Son, yet it stikes me that the faithfulness of the Wise Men and Joseph are key elements to the story.