Monday, January 1, 2007

Questionable Characters

January 1, Matthew 1:1-25

Here the line is traced from Abraham to Jesus. Let me not pass over this list unexpectantly. "Great, a genealogy!" comes to mind first, but I must not dismiss any of your Word, God, and no word about you, Jesus.

There are several curiosities and even wonders as I look over this list. On the one hand it is too neat. 14 generations to here, 14 generations to the next, 14 generations on down to Jesus. My life does not roll out with such orderly convenience. The experts say this can be typical genealogical (is that a word?) license -- that there are intentional omissions & whole gaps of multiple generations, in order to perfectly present Jesus coming from Abraham to David to the exile to US (Immanuel!).

And yet, right alongside this tidied order and design is another kind of 'oddity' that grabs my attention. The presence of WOMEN in a Jewish stoutly patriarchal system! AND, of further wonder is WHICH women the 'gospel' lists in this family tree! There is (v.3) Tamar (Gen 38), a kind of anti-type of a Rebekah (she would have been my choice to paint into the family tree! -- her future father-in-law Abraham had sent his servant to go get a wife for Isaac his son 'from among my people'). But Tamar is of pagan neighborhood rabble. She is an outsider. Her story is one of perpetual disappointment, of grief and broken promises, and unmentionable shame. Then there is (v.5) Rahab (Jos. 2) who certainly has her own sordid history. Ruth also (v.5) reminds us that the lineage of both David and Jesus was far from pure in the human line. Bathsheba (v.6) reminds us the same. And then, we come all the way down to Joseph, and to Mary -- yet another character of 'reputation' -- a teenage bride promised to one, found pregnant by another.

Jesus, your family tree is a reminder to me of how surprising, even shocking, and certainly GREAT is your work of grace!

Who gets in, and who is left out?!!

Whose name surprisingly appears, and whose is glaringly omitted?

God, let my name be on the list! My family, my children -- do not skip a generation! Make margin and expectation in my life for further 'entries' to this family tree -- names and histories that I do not see coming. Shock and surprise again, Lord Jesus with your way of drawing into 'family' those apt to be covered over or swept aside.

And Jesus, help me to love your word. Help me in this new year again to crave time with you, to be made new and strong in the life of You. Give me something to live on & something to pass on to some friend or stranger today. They may be family...

Blessed New Year to all!

PPaul

4 comments:

mrquademan said...

I knew we started our readings with a genealogy, and I wasn't sure what I would get out of it. But, I was also struck by what a wide range of characters are included in the family line of Jesus - women from outside the Hebrew nation, good and evil kings alike. God's grace over our merit is a clear theme, even in Jesus' family history.

Another thing that strikes me is how subtle Matthew's account of the birth of Jesus is. He describes meticulously the heritage of Jesus. He briefly describes the prophecy and preparation for Jesus' birth. He gives a complete sentence to Joseph naming Jesus. But his birth is hidden in a sentence that tells us that Mary remained a virgin "until her son was born." That's it. There's the miraculous birth of Jesus!

I guess Matthew wants us to know that what's coming is the really exciting part. Even Jesus' miraculous birth is just part of the context of His life, His teaching, and the miracles He'll perform. Who Jesus is, His glory and His grace, His great work of salvation, these are the things Matthew wants us to know. His birth and His family history are just part of the introduction.

breakfastblend said...

I was noticing that this is the geneology of Joseph, not Mary. Is this Jesus "legal" geneology? I would recommend the Francine Rivers novelas about the women in this geneology. She really brings them to life.
btw I'm so excited about this starting. I read the Bible in a year with a group at my past church, but we had no forum for discussion about what we read. I think this is great!

MrsQ said...

I am struck by the fact that Matthew refers to Jesus three times as "the Messiah" in this first chapter (vs. 1, 16, 18). His point, to me, seems clear... he is communicating to his Jewish audience that Jesus is the One they have been waiting for, He is, in fact, the long awaited MESSIAH! And for those who had studied the messages of the prophets, even the genealogy would give further evidence that Jesus fits the prophetic "criteria" of the true Messiah.

Anonymous said...

The fact that Jesus was the Messiah was made so specifically clear to Joseph. We've probably all thought about how weird it must have been for him and what a difficult decision he would have had to decide to send her away quietly. Seems like a pretty tender guy.

Anyway, it was amazing to me how clearly the angel explained the purpose of Jesus to Joseph. vs 21b, "for he will save his people from their sins." As a good Jew I'm sure that Joseph also would have been looking for the Messiah. The one who would save. The redemptive story that started with the fall continues on in the life of Joseph as he learns who will save him from his sins. The purpose of Jesus life on earth is made clear to various people around Him from even before His birth. It is no secret. He is the Savior!