Saturday, January 27, 2007

Jockeying for Position

Matthew 18:1-20

About that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, ‘Which of us is greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven?’”

The disciples didn’t get it. They imagined only an earthly kingdom and their own positions in it. It’s natural for us to think in terms of rank and status; we are performance-reward driven.

That spills over into my spiritual life as well. All too often, I’m right there with the disciples, wondering, Have I done enough? Have I offered enough hospitality, served on enough committees, and shared enough comfort? Have I given enough time, money, and energy? How do I measure up, Lord? I know I can’t earn my way into your heart, but still…

I have trouble “getting it” too.

Into the middle of this adult discussion, Jesus brings in a child. A child? What credits could this child possibly have in the balance sheet of good works? None. The child hasn’t performed, served, given, or accomplished anything. And yet, the child is accepted. The child is loved.

“Therefore, anyone who becomes as humble as this little child is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven.”

Humble. Remembering that Jesus, who had everything, humbled Himself for us. Humble. Turning from the very grown-up sin of jockeying for a position of glory among the saints.
Humble. Being content simply to be His child and to be near Him.

Lord Jesus, I have nothing to offer and yet You love me. I come as Your child, trusting, believing… I just want to be near You...

1 comment:

Fred said...

You are right on target. Keep us focused on the truth.