Saturday, January 27, 2007

Relationships of the Heart

We have just turned the corner in Matthew. Jesus’ live and ministry have built to this question to Peter, “Who do you say I am?” (Matt. 16:15) From this profession, Jesus is pointing to the cross--the cross where God’s mercy comes to life through death.

The parable of the unmerciful servant

The first servant owed 10,000 talents. Who could accumulate such a debt? Herod the Great had estimated annual revenue of 900 talents. Jesus used an amount well beyond most people’s imagination. The rabbis taught you were to forgive a particular offense up to three times. Here Peter more than doubled that amount. Yet Jesus blew legalistic counting out the window with this parable.

I have been trying to remember when was the last time I ask someone’s forgiveness? Not that I am living a life so holy that I don’t need to. To whom do I say “I’m sorry” the most”? spouse, parents, children, brined or co-worker.

What is my debt to the Master? Paul said he was chief of sinners (I Tim. 1:15) Yet that is how I often feel when I face the Master. Good thing he forgives me more than 3 or 7 times!!

Steve Louden

No comments: