Thursday, February 1, 2007

By What Authority?

 
 
In today's reading, Jesus was in the temple courts shortly after entering Jerusalem on the day we now call Palm Sunday.  Though he was greeted with praise when he entered the city, certainly the priests and the elders (likely the Sadducees and Pharisees ) were none too happy about His presence in the temple.  Following the scene in which he called the temple "a den of thieves", they tried to trap Jesus with their question about the His authority.  Jesus, ever so wisely, replies with a question of his own, as well of some parables to further their understanding.  
 
The second parable in this reading is commonly known as the Parable of the Tenants.  In short, a landowner planted a vineyard which he leased to tenant farmers upon moving to another country.  At the time of the harvest, the tenants refused to turn over the owner's share of the crop and killed those that were sent to collect it, including the owner's son.  
 
My understanding of the metaphor is this: The landowner is God.  The vineyard is Israel.  The landowner showed great care for the vineyard by building a wall to keep out animals and a watchtower to guard against thieves.  He had confidence that his vineyard would bear fruit, as he  built the pit for pressing out the grape juice in advance of the harvest.  The tenants were most likely meant to be the leaders of Israel, those originally entrusted to nurture the spiritual growth of the Israelites.  The servants were the prophets, and the son is Jesus - all were rejected and murdered by the tenants.
 
Besides wondering if this is where the saying "Don't shoot the messenger" comes from, many thoughts run through my mind as I reflect on this story.  Usually I can "find" myself in Jesus' parables, so where am I in this one?  It's too easy for me to look at the tenants' wicked actions and think, "Well, who would ever do that?" But when I look beyond their actions towards their self-centered motives, I sadly find myself there.
 
More often than I care to admit,  I certainly act as though my personal 'vineyard',  that is my life, is my very own.  My time is my own. My possessions are my own.  My family is my own.  Mine, mine, mine.  Oh sure, deep down I realize that "every good and perfect gift is from above", and I even whisper a quiet "Thanks, Lord" when I think of it. But in the next moment, I put together my to-do list and without really realizing it, just expect God to bless it. 
 
Then, thankfully, God sends in the 'servants' to remind me that the 'vineyard' does not really belong to me.  A friend makes a well-timed phone call which summons me to accountability.  I dutifully show up at bible study (because, of course, it was on my to-do list) and a sister in Christ speaks a word of truth straight into my heart.  A fifteen minute carpool run with Christian radio playing allows a distant preacher to point me back to the 'owner of the fields'.
 
So, how do I react to the servants' messages?  And even more importantly, what is my response to the Son?  Will I question, as the priests did in the temple, the authority that Jesus has over me?  Or do I submit to the Owner of the field AND His Son, giving them their rightful place of headship in my life?  As I think about these questions, I might even remember to look up at the 'watchtower' and the 'walls' that have protected me, wondering if the fruit in my life has been plentiful or pitiful.
 
So, the choices in my own life and in the Parable of the Tenants seem to come down to just one question: What did I do with the Son?   I find that this day I must AGAIN decide to give Jesus complete and unquestioned authority in my life, confessing the moments that I took back the 'field', forgot about the 'watchtower', but somehow still thought the 'presses' would be busy following a bountiful harvest.  While the tenants attacked the Son hoping only to gain the estate for themselves, I can trust in the Son to give me "an inheritance that will never perish, spoil or fade."
 
 
Thank you, Jesus, for seeing into the depths of my heart and finding me lovable and worthy of your sacrifice.  Through the power of your Holy Spirit, please help me to release control of my life and submit to your authority.  Even when I do not understand my circumstances, I know I can rest in your perfect care.  Amen
 
Karen Peikert
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First- Thank you Karen for your insight.
I always find this passgae one of those big walls that stands in front of us in our faith because it is so poignant. Here is Jesus trying to tell everyone how it will be for himself and how God has been trying to continuously talk with his people. Now it all comes down to this- Hie Son must face the cross just to get the point across. Will they finally listen? Do we finally listen?
We seem to have a whole world out there who is not listening, or has stopped listening. We say we are listening but everyday the news, the culture, the things we entertain ourselves with would probably prove this wrong.

Anonymous said...

This SO hits home to me. The lessons just keep coming. Thank you.