Friday, February 2, 2007

Shock and Awe

Friday, February 2nd - Matthew 22:1-33

His reply amazed them... They were astounded at his teaching...

Often, I struggle to connect what I read today with what I read yesterday, as if each day's reading was intended to be separated from the others. But it occurred seamlessly in real time. As the "To Be Continued" message interrupted our story yesterday, the Pharisees were just realizing that Jesus was rebuking them with His parable. As we pick it up again today, Jesus continues teaching.

At the conclusion of His parable about the tenants, Jesus said to the Pharisees, "The Kingdom of God will be taken away from you..." And when the Pharisees heard the parable, they realized he was telling the story against them. (Clearly a stroke of brilliance.) The Pharisees wanted to arrest Jesus, but they feared the crowds.

So Jesus continues. This time a King throws a wedding feast in honor of his son. But many on the invite list are too busy to come. Others seize the messengers, insult them, and kill them. Wow! No wonder they were amazed and astounded. Jesus basically said, "Yeah, I know what you're thinking. I know you're plans." And more than that, he says, "Bring it on! But you will not stop me; you're not in control. You can kill me and my messengers, but the invites will go out, and people will feast in my Kingdom."

I'm challenged by the content of the parable, and I'm blessed to know that eventually the King sent out enough rounds of messengers with invitations to eventually make it to you and me. I, too, am struck by Jesus' teaching. And I'm humbled to see that this rebuke is itself an invitation to see Him for who He is, the long-awaited Messiah, God in the flesh. Then He describes this confusing guy, who was invited to come to the wedding feast, but who refused to wear the wedding clothes. Apparently - especially since these guests came in a hurry - the King provided appropriate clothing for them to wear in situations like this. All they had to do was wear the Kings robes, and they could participate in the celebration. But this man refused. He thought he was good enough the way he was, or that his way was better than the King's.

We're reminded that all our righteous acts are like filthy rags (Isaiah 64:6). As Jesus taught in Matthew 9:12-13, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick... For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners." Neither the Pharisees nor we are righteous enough on our own to enter this glorious feast. It's not enough appear righteous by showing up at the right places, by saying the "right" things, or by performing religious acts while harboring pride, self-righteousness, or disdain for this great plan of God. The King invites us to come, but we only enter the feast as we are covered in the righteous garment He provides through Jesus.

No comments: