Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Matthew 24:29-51

Greetings,

 

The end times used to fascinate me to no end.  Now I jokingly describe my position on the end times as a “pantheist – it will all pan out in the end.”  My focus shifted from the details to the broad picture that in the end God wins and that we are to be ready.  Yes, there will be an end to all things and we won’t know when it will be.  Sometimes in my life I don’t want this world to end because I have so many hopes and dreams and things I enjoy in this world (although I know eternity with God will be infinitely greater).  But sometimes in my life I long for the end of this world and ache for the return of Jesus.  As soon as we are born, we start dying.  Lives all around us are messed up by sin.  We talk about the big three: Satan, the world, and our own sinful nature causing pain, destruction, and all evils.  We’d like to think that there is some temporary solution to these problems (Coke?), but there isn’t.  The only solution is that in the end God wins and will restore all things and that in heaven He will wipe away every tear, there will be no longer any death, there will be no longer any mourning, or crying, or pain.  Behold, God is making all things new! (Rev 21)

 

The fact that Jesus is returning begs us to ask these question, “Am I ready?”  “Am I right with God?”  “Am I trusting Jesus today?”  “Do I count myself dead to sin but alive in Jesus?”  “Am I presenting myself as a living sacrifice?”  “Have I accepted Jesus?”  For all you grammar lovers what word is the subject of these questions?  “I” is.  We ask the question, “Have I accepted Jesus?” but the first question we need to ask is “Has Jesus accepted me?”  See the difference?  God/Jesus is the subject of these questions.  “Does God love me?”  “Has God forgiven my sins because of what Jesus has done for me on the cross?”  We always let God have the first word.  So we place the “I” questions after we answer (or rather God answers in His Word) the God questions.  Yes God loves you!  Yes God has forgiven your sins for Christ’s sake.  THEREFORE IN VIEW OF GOD’S MERCY offer your bodies as living sacrifices.  Therefore, because of what Christ has done for me, I am ready for His return and will live my life to serve Him.  Therefore, because in baptism I have been buried with Christ and raised to live a new life with Him (Rom 6) I daily confess my sins, putting to death my old sinful nature and clinging to Christ for this new life He has given to me. 

 

Jesus is coming back and I am ready because of what Jesus has given me!  Praise God.

 

Pastor Adam

 

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yesterday's reading seemed to say to me that we need to keep our focus on Jesus (continue to get to know him and walk with him) so that we will not be led astray. Rather than focusing on the things happening in the world and figuring out whether or not we are in the end times (or whatever else takes our focus off Jesus), our time/efforts might be better spent focusing on Jesus (walking with him and listening to his voice).

Today, the reading seems to say that we need to be aware of what is going on around us so that we will recognize the end when it comes.

As I read vs 40-41, I also noted that some will be taken and some will be left. I, like Pastor Adam, found myself asking questions. Because of what Christ did for me I am ready for his return...but what about the people who are left behind? Will they be people that I could have reached out to in some way (friends, family, etc)? While I am waiting for Jesus to return am I doing his work and being a faithful servant?