Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Ask Yourself...

Ask yourself – which of the two sisters is the most like me?  Or, put another way, am I too much like Martha, distracted, nervous, determined, complaining, and attempting to please Jesus with a delicious meal?  Am I more like Mary, wanting to ‘save the moments’ with Jesus – seeking, searching and being quiet in His presence?  Some folk may assume that this teaches laziness.  NOT SO!

The old quote says, “Some folks are so heavenly they are no earthly good!”  We will not promote that idea!  No doubt most of us likely need some qualities of both women in our lives!  V. 42 – Ask yourself now, “have I discovered in my trust in Jesus that which nothing will take from me . . .ever?  Chap. 11:1 – Do you feel you really know how to pray?  Most of us feel a need of some help in that regard, I’m quite sure.  The Lord’s Prayer (compare the wording with the Lord’s Prayer as recorded in Matthew 6:9-15).  Chap. 11:5-13 – Jesus taught us, keep on asking the Father.  Don’t give up.  Key words include: ASK, SEEK, KNOCK, FIND.  Do you really feel that the Heavenly Father wants to answer your prayers?  Why?  Why not?  Would you say you have “patience” when you have prayer requests?

 

Donald E. Pardun

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Pastor Pardun. Indeed, sitting at Jesus' feet is not idle time! It is breathing and eating time for my soul and if it is not well with my soul, it is not well with me.

Patience is not an idle practice either. A wise woman once told me that patience is "reading the rythms of readiness". To me this is very active (for the Martha side of me). It means that I am watching for God's answers that I know are coming and the means that He will use to show them to me. That's a lot to do! Meanwhile, I will eat and breath. Chris S.