Monday, April 2, 2007

Yes, But


Luke 9:51-10:12

Of course I'll offer grace to Londa for back-posting (while I'm adding my blog here at the very end of a discombobulated day! :)

I am amazed sometimes, how my youngest kid can work his way out of some directive from me. It is a verbal twist he has learned and made into an art form. The key is his turn on the words, "Yes, but..."

It allows Nate to say precisely what I want and expect to hear: "Yes". I am always glad to hear that word winsomely come from his lips. It gives the indication that he has heard me, that he understands my wishes, and that he desires to obey and has good intent to do so.

But then quicker than a comma he attaches that word: "but". And, with effortless verbal jujitsu, entirely undoes -- reverses the meaning of the "yes" just preceding. He is really saying "no", but it is "no" with a smile and the sound of a "yes".

In our reading today, three people (9:57-61) say "Yes, but" to Jesus. The first actually brashly volunteers his "yes". "I will follow you wherever you go" he calls out to Jesus like some adoring fan at a rock concert. Jesus knows he has NO IDEA what he has said yes to, and if he did that he would be adding a great big "but". So, almost comically Jesus provides it for him! "Great, but did you know following me can be hard? I have no home."

The second is called by Jesus to follow, and he enthusiastically agrees, "yes, but Jesus, I'll be right with you after I bury my father". Well, that certainly sounds understandable... until we read the experts who believe all likelihood is that the yes man's dad here is not even currently ill, no less deceased. "Yes, but..." He is really saying, "no Jesus I won't drop everything and follow you now nor anywhere, but if and when and where as I choose later, I may follow you. Sound familiar?

The third (v61) literally says, "Yes, but". "Yes, Lord, I will follow you, but first let me say good-bye to my family." The point is not that this isn't a perfectly reasonable excuse (at least on the surface). Who knows?! Maybe the goodbye would last a decade. Maybe the man would be a no-show, never actually returning to follow Jesus. We don't know. The point is when Jesus calls people to follow, there's always something.

"Jesus, I confess & repent that my yes-es most have a comma rather than a period following them. Will You stoop down and give me the faith to just say, "Yes.""

PPaul

No comments: