Saturday, July 28, 2007

Branch Life / Romans 11:13-36

Wild olive branches we are, grafted onto the tree of God’s family. And I love what Andrew Murray says about life as a branch. The life of a branch, he says, is a life of absolute dependence.

The tree does the work—sending out roots, taking in moisture and nourishment. The branch has nothing and must depend on the tree and receive what it gives.

Murray asks, “Is that literally true of my Lord Jesus? Must I understand that when I have to work, or preach a sermon, or teach a Bible class, or go out and visit the poor…that all the responsibility for the work is on Christ? Yes, that is exactly what Christ wants you to understand. In all your work should be the simple blessed consciousness: Christ must take care of it all.”

Our relationship as branches to the tree must be such, says Murray, that “hourly, daily, unceasingly, the living connection is maintained. And just so, my Lord Jesus wants me to take that blessed position, morning by morning, day by day and hour by hour and step by step – I have to abide before Him in utter helplessness, as one who knows nothing, who is nothing, and who can do nothing… For if I am something, then God is not everything.”

Amen, Brother Andrew!

Lord Jesus, I would be nothing that You would be all…

No comments: