Friday, July 27, 2007

Pretty Feet

Romans 10:14 - 11:12

Romans 9-11 are challenging chapters that often make me wrestle a bit with my picture of God. But as challenging as some of these verses might be to understand, there are a few verses that make plain sense.


For "Everyone who calls on the name of the LORD will be saved." But how can they call on him to save them unless they believe in him? And how can they believe in him if they have never heard about him? And how can they hear about him unless someone tells them? And how will anyone go and tell them without being sent? That is why the Scriptures say, "How beautiful are the feet of messengers who bring good news!"


The original readers of this letter from Paul would have known that these questions were rhetorical. The answer to each of them is, "They can't!" Without someone going and bringing the good news to them, they can't believe Jesus and be saved.


I don't know about you, but I'm rarely confident I know just what to say or how to identify the "right time" to talk to people about finding new life and forgiveness in Jesus. Regardless, there are a lot of people in desperate need of hearing the message. I'm blown away by the staggering number of people who don't have a church or outreach ministry in their language, and I'm stirred to help make the Gospel real to the people who speak my language. I'm inspired by the fact that God passionately and intensely desires to rescue people in the Chippewa Valley, throughout North America, in the village of Doh in Chad, Africa, in India and China, and throughout the world.


He calls us as his ambassadors; he gives us his authority to relate and connect with people, that they might experience his love and grace through us. So whether we go to China or we go to work or we go outside, we have the privilege of bringing Jesus' message of reconciliation with God to anyone with whom we have relationship. We have an incredible opportunity to give people a glimpse into the love God has for them by the way we love them and respect them. And, whether we're called to go far from home or to remain in our neighborhood, we have the opportunity to be involved in God's work of salvation throughout the world through prayer.


Lord, work in and through me that I might be your faithful messenger to the people in my life today!

No comments: