Monday, July 23, 2007

No Obligation

Romans 8:9-21

Okay, so I can't verify this, but I have read somewhere (I think!) that elephants are trained into subservient compliance when they are young, by tethering them bound with multiple layers of strong ropes. Their legs are tied so they cannot move with freedom, nor take liberty to run away. However, when they have been fully mastered and have given in to the power of the ropes over them, the vast majority of the ropes are taken away. Yet that elephant can now be led around and pressed into labor-some service by a single rope -- a comparative string.

What is the lesson of the rope? It may be less that the elephant does not know its strength, but both more that it has greatly underestimated that its status and stature have so changed, and it has monumentally overestimated the power of the rope's current condition.

I believe I may have a case of spiritual elephantitis.

Sin is no longer my master. The Spirit in me has deposed that former dictator! But I am so inclined to feel helpless and powerless before some age-old habits of worry, sharp-tongued-ness, envy, and Doritos. We get to thinking we will only every spin our wheels over some character flaw, and fatalistically consign ourselves forever to some assigned rut.

The rope may still be there, but today's sweet scripture says my status and stature have changed!

The Spirit of God, who raised Jesus from the dead, lives in you... Therefore, dear brothers and sisters, you have no obligation [don't you LOVE IT!! -- you are under no obligation!] to do what your sinful nature urges you to do. For if you live by its dictates, you will die. But if through the power of the Spirit you put to death the deeds of your sinful nature, you will live. Romans 8:11-13

Sin IS Dictator for those without Christ and His Spirit. There is no spirit in those other than the one consigned to sin. But for the believer, tho Sin exiled from the throne still pretends to dictate and connives and convinces it is yet in charge of us, the Spirit of Christ says 'NO!' He rules. His Spirit lives enthroned in us! And, with Him is power equal of resurrection!! He tells us we are not stuck, consigned to old helpless patterns; that in His strength we can Execute those old deeds, put that Tyrant of Sin over our lives to death! (True, Sin does its own resurrection impersonation -- we may have to put that Tyrant to death tomorrow too.)

Revel with me, people! By Gospel permission and might, let's break out of some 3-ring sin-circus this day!

Pastor Paul

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I once heard a woman speak in a commanding voice - not to me but to her inner self - "Down, Pride!" She knew she was under no obligation to the old master. As for me, the Lord is making me more and more aware of my own sinful nature. Yet, I too often remain like that compliant elephant. It's hard for me to grasp my new status and remember to call upon the Spirit's strength. Thank you, Pastor Paul, for your powerful reminder of Who is in charge.
Deetje