Sunday, August 5, 2007

Foolish Logic

1 Corinthians 1:18-2:5

I like to think of myself as a logical person. If presented with a sound, compelling argument for something, I like to think of myself as the sort of person who will make logical conclusions. And like anyone who thinks of himself in this way, I presume other people should be exactly like me. So naturally, I find it quite frustrating when people aren't.

I have an acquaintaince who believes Christians are irrational. And not just irrational, but dangerously irrational and a threat to the freedom of everyone else on the planet.

Now, because I consider myself to be completely rational, I find it frustrating to encounter someone who classifies me as irrational based on my faith, and furthermore, as a global threat. A well-reasoned argument should prove my rationality, right? Or barring that, I should be able to reveal (again, through the strength of reason) how irrational his claims are, right? Of course, since he sees me as irrational, that's not possible.

And back and forth it goes.

In today's passage Paul says that all our wisdom will appear foolish to non-believers. And this is not just a symptom of miscommunication or a failure to present the proper argument for our position, . . . this is God's plan.

That's sometimes a little hard for me to take. I suspect part of that is because I want to be respected as someone who can present persuasive, logical arguments that cause people to agree.

But when I do that, am I presenting my own human wisdom, or am I letting the Spirit of God do his work?

Paul writes: Rather than using clever and persuasive speeches, I relied only on the power of the Holy Spirit. I did this so you would trust not in human wisdom, but in the power of God.

I have another acquaintance who talks about what it means to have a relationship with God in a natural, non-threatening way. It comes out of him like breathing. I've never thought that he used the proper, persuasive arguments, and at times I think "Oh, how embarassing. Why did he bring that up now, in mixed company, and in such a churchy, (dare I say it, 'irrational') way?"

This is to my shame. It is God who does the work, not me.

And so this passage says to me that I don't need to worry so much about whether my arguments will be air-tight examples of flawless logic. "Lofty words and impressive wisdom." Nor should it be a concern to me if I'm seen as slightly irrational. (I could probably confess to that anyway.)

We know that it is God who draws people to him. All our attempts at clever and persuasive speech will be meaningless if God is not working on that person's heart.

-- Drew Clausen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wild, illogical, irrational, crazy faith... Lord, give me MORE of THAT! :-)