Thursday, September 27, 2007

A Conversation with God

Me: Lord, not to be disrespectful or anything, but thanks a lot.

Jesus: Beloved, what is it?

Me: The blog!

Jesus: What about it?

Me: Have you seen the scripture for today??

Jesus: Well actually, I wrote it, remember?

Me: Duh, sorry. I knew that. It's just, well, couldn't you have given this text for someone else to write about? Pastor Paul would have hit this one out of the park!

Jesus: What exactly is the problem?

Me: I'm not worthy, that's the problem! The standards You have set for us, they're, well, kinda hard!

Jesus: Do you think they are any less difficult for a pastor than for you? And by the way, quit it with the "I'm not worthy" stuff. Don't you remember about the lilies of the field and the birds of the air?

Me: I know, Lord. I'm sorry. It's just that today's reading begins with "Imitate God, therefore, in everything you do." I'm sure You know how much easier it would have been if you told us "Imitate God, therefore, to the best of your ability."

Jesus: My child, my yoke is easy and my burden is light. If I had wanted you to try to live the Christian life to the best of your ability, I wouldn't have given you the Holy Spirit.

Me: But Lord, sexual immorality, impurity, greed, obscene stories, foolish talk and coarse jokes? How can we avoid all of this? Our culture is saturated with all of this and more!

Jesus: Did you read verses 4-8? Don't be fooled by those who try to excuse these sins, for the anger of God will fall on all who disobey him. Don't participate in the things these people do. For once you were full of darkness, but now you have light from the Lord. So live as people of light!

Me: Do you know how much I want to be one of those people of the light? Oh yeah, I guess you do. It's just that it seems so much easier to compare myself to the world's standards than to Yours. Compared to the stuff I see on TV, I think I'm doing pretty well!

Jesus: When I said to take up your cross and follow me, I imagine that gave you some indication of how tough it might be to "walk the walk" and not just "talk the talk".

Me: Can't we go back to "My yoke is easy and my burden is light?"

Jesus: Beloved, I will never leave you or forsake you. You can do all things through me - I will give you strength. Be careful how you live. Don't live like a fool, but like those who are wise. Make the most of every opportunity in these evil days.

Me: I know Lord, I know. In Christ, the old has gone and the new has come! But what if the old starts creeping back in?

Jesus: Live a life of love, following my example. Let there be thankfulness to God. Be filled with the Holy Spirit, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, making music to me in your heart. And give thanks to God the Father in my name. And don't forget, if you walk in the light, as I am in the light, you have fellowship with one another and my blood will cleanse you from all unrighteousness.

Me: I really don't just have to set my mind and use my own strength to live the Christian life, do I Lord? It's who I am in You and through You that lets me walk with You and live for You.

Jesus: She who was in darkness has seen a great light!

Me: Is that joke? Because since we're created in Your image, I've always wondered if you had a sense of humor.

Jesus: In the twinkling of an eye, you'll see for yourself.

Me: Cool. Next time, Jesus, can we talk about marriage? Because the only thing I can think of that would be harder than submission is loving someone as much as You love the church.

Jesus: Any time, beloved. Any time. I'll be waiting.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You (with the Lord's help) hit this one out of the park sista! Praying after reading this text made me cry. I fall SO short! But He loves me. Let's sing some spiritual songs....
Terri

Anonymous said...

Ditto on that...it's waaaay out of the park. I loved it!

Drew said...

This is great, Karen.