Monday, May 14, 2007

Light of the World

John 8:1-20

Jesus said I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won't have to walk in the darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life. (John 8:12)

This morning I am driving my mother home to Minnesota, and will return to the blog when I return, but the great curiosity that grabbed my attention as I read this morning was recalling the quite different description of Jesus as light in John's prologue to his Gospel. In John 1:4-5 he wrote his life brought light to everyone. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness can never extinguish it (or has not understood it).

So what's the difference? Can you help? How is it that Jesus as light can be described so differently, have such different effect?...

PPaul


Monday Eve PS: Thanks to all of you for your good insights!

I, too, pondered this passage while driving today , and my mind came to rest upon the phrase from 8:12, If you follow me. It seems, as others noted, that our personal positioning in relationship to the light makes all the difference. Having been a 'driving' day for me, an illustration from it. If I am caught in the light as when staring into glaring high beams of an oncoming car, (or as when the Jews dragging the woman before Jesus are found out to be only different from her in that she was caught in her adultery), then that light is an offending, bothersome light. Some never understand it. But if that light having exposed me now reveals Him, I may come to see that this light not only shines ON me, but FOR me. If I follow this Light, it will surely guide my way, preserve my life, and lead me home.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think in John 1:4-5 Jesus is being described in more general terms as the light that is available to everyone. The light of Jesus is there…we cannot deny the light exists but can stay at a distance and choose not to step out of darkness. In John 8:12 the light seems more personal. Where I have chosen to step into the light and my path is well lit, the light will never go out. I can still walk off the path and away from the light. When I do my walk slows considerably, my steps are not guided.
Several years ago, I was stuck in a dry period spiritually and felt very alone. I felt very far from God. We live out of the city limits, away from all the lights at night. On one particular night I went out in the middle of my backyard and sat on the grass alone, crying and talking to God. The blackness of the night seemed like I could not escape it. I had matches in my pocket and felt compelled to light a single match. God spoke to me through that single match. That small light penetrated the darkness. Even in thick darkness that small flicker of light could be seen. The darkness could not hide it. If I would have been standing at a distance from that scene and taken a picture in the dark of night that small light would have been the focal point – not the darkness. The light does not hide, it desires to be seen…it wants to draw us in. The light truly guides our path if we look to it.
Contrast that scene with a well light room…with everything in clear view. The darkness is still there, but hidden. Shadows of darkness loom all around, behind a cabinet, under the chair, the curtain….Darkness conceals what is really there in the night, and in the brightness of day it is still there but hides. The light never conceals or hides.
We can walk in the darkness, but we will stumble, we will be unsure of our step, we will not be lead, we will be on our own. I know I can easily adjust my focus a little and become accustom to the darkness – oblivious to the dangers and deceptions there.
Last fall our son was calling for his black cat at night out the back door. He took a few steps and felt fuzzy fur by his feet. He reached down and picked up Calvin and snuggled him by his neck. That is when he realized the stiff body was not Calvin! As he got into the light, he could see he just picked up a little dead bunny that the cat had left on the porch! It was a vivid image to me of how often I snuggle up with darkness before I realize I have stepped out of the light.
Jackie

Anonymous said...

I am not sure if I see a difference between the two. Call me dense but, I do think He is talking about the same thing. The use of the word "light" is powerful. Light, especially in the time of Christ, was such a wonderful thing. I don't think we know how miraculous it was unless we experience great darkness and isolation. We can do this by going camping in a remote place where there are no lamps to light our way.
So his use of light, to me, is very powerful. And his use of darkness is also powerful because it is so true. Evil and evil doers, sin and sinfulness is often sequesterd away in darkness. I always think of Las Vegas-- sin city-- all lit up-- but when? At night, because that is when most of the action is taking place. The image of LV is never in bright daylight and Las Vegas has plenty of that.
Light means 'we see', 'it is made clear', 'it is understood.' It is difficult to see anything without light. Light is precious. Light also conveys warmth. Thus one would prefer to be warmed and be able to see.
Jesus provides the warmth because he brings us into the light. It allows us to see Him. We cannot see him in the dark. The dark is always a fearful place.
Jesus is a great lamp to follow and He will illuminate all that God has to offer us. He is the great spotlight that we can choose to enter into and be guided by.

Anonymous said...

Jackie
Thanks for sharing your deep, personal insight. Your wisdom and ability to teach a meaningful lesson are always a blessing. LP

Anonymous said...

Great question and great insights!!

I noticed that in John 1:4-5, the context is the beginning, the creation of the world. It is not Jesus speaking, it is a description of Jesus as light and available to all. If Jesus is light and darkness is evil, then doesn't the light illuminate our sin and the need for light (Jesus) to see it? It also says that the darkness can never extinguish it (the darkness of evil will never overcome God's light).

In John 8, Jesus is actually speaking to the people in the temple. He is inviting them (and us) into the light (relationship) where they (and we) can see how to live and have the light that leads to life. If the light (Jesus) dispels the darkness, doesn't that give us freedom from sin and allow us to move out of the bondage that darkness brings?

So the light in John 1 illuminates our need for a savior and in John 8 it provides the way to life. Could that be law vs grace!