Thursday, May 17, 2007

Now I Can See

John 9:1-34

I think about the blind man's mother and father, back when they were
young, anticipating the birth of their child. Was it their first? I
feel their joy as they received a son into their lives. How long did
they hold him in their arms before discovering he was blind? Their
delight mingled with devastation. Were they cursed by God? Neighbors
talked in whispers, couldn't help but wonder what dreadful sin had
caused this catastrophe. Did anyone have compassion and try to comfort
them? Was it hard to love a son who brought them such disgrace?

Surely they did their best to raise this child. They helped their
toddler learn to walk. Perhaps they protected him too much, but they
taught him to navigate on his own. They attempted to describe to their
son a world he could not see. But the feeling of guilt and shame never
left. What did we do, that he should be born blind? The boy couldn't
attend synagogue school with all the other boys. The parents held on to
the community of faith as their only hope of salvation, despite the
shunning.

Now, they are faced with a dilemma. They are afraid of the Jewish
leaders. They can't openly rejoice in this unexpected miracle - the
work of God displayed in the life of their son. Afraid of being put out
of the synagogue, they hold their tongues.

It's at this point that I ask myself, how often do I see the work of
God displayed and remain silent? Do I cling to what feels safe? Too
often, I say the acceptable thing rather than speak the name of Jesus.
Right now, is there a risk I'm afraid to take? Lord, make me more bold.

Bold. Like the man born blind. Bold enough to leave his old way of
life. Bold enough to believe and obey. Bold enough to stand up to his
interrogators.

I recall John Newton's words: "I once was lost but now am found; was
blind, but now I see." I, too, was blind from birth.

Deetje Wildes

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Deetje. You were born blind but now you are bold and I am thankful for your insights. ChriS